Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Danish girl

The Danish girl is a movie directed by Tom Hooper (King's speech, Les miserbles), starring Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander in a pseudo biopic based on the fictional novel with the same name about one  of the first men known who has undergone surgery for sex reassignment.
I am not a big fan of period pieces, unless they are based in the 50' or 60', because the ones before that I find mostly boring, with rigid dialogue and unappealing costumes. So, I am not going to talk a lot about the movie per se, as I don't think it wouldn't be so good had it not been for the interesting theme and amazing performances from the leading actors. 
The main focus goes on Eddie Redmayne's heartbreaking performance who gives the character elegance and sincerity, proving yet again he is a good actor who lets his work speak for himself. However, I think Alicia Vikander deserves the spotlight for this picture. Rarely have I seen such a strong female character in a movie, with a story arc even more interesting than that of Lili's character and transformation. She slowly realizes her marriage falls apart and there is no going back, yet she is supporting of her husband in his search to become who he actually is, no questions asked.
I liked the theme of the movie and I believe the producers found a good moment to release it, as Caitlyn Jenner opened the conversation on this subject. It really is thought provoking in regards to gender roles, but I really enjoyed the way Edde Redmayne put it in an interview, saying that things are not black or white, male or female, but that there is a spectrum and people can be anywhere on it, which I find to be well said.
I suggest you watch this movie, not for the way it was made, as there is not much to say about that,  it's a regular film, but for the thought provoking theme and stellar performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment